Top quality Cat5e CMX outdoor shielded cable at a reasonable price!
I install Wi-Fi networks and camera systems and this particular cable is meant for outdoor runs. When I made my choice, I went by the following criteria:
1. The cable must be solid copper. Many of the runs I install are up to 300 feet and almost always to a PoE device (Power Over Ethernet). It is always a good idea to use solid copper conductors for PoE.
2. The cable must be outdoor rated, with FTP (Foil Twisted Pair) aluminum shielding plus an ESD ground drain wire
3. The cable must be properly documented so I can select the proper connector to use with it. I will not trust cable that is not fully documented up front.
4. The cable must meet all EIA/TIA specifications
trueCABLE has properly documented the specifications on the cable and I selected the Platinum Tools EZ-RJ45 Cat5/6 Shielded connector with external ground. The two most critical specifications needed are the OD or outside diameter of the cable jacket and the OD of the conductor insulation, which basically means the copper conductor diameter PLUS accounting for the insulation around the conductor. It is NOT enough that a connector says “Cat5e compatible”, nor is it enough that a particular connector says it will work with “24 AWG” conductors. Each cable manufacturer will have different ODs for the cable and conductors. In this case, the cable OD is 6.80mm and the OD of the conductor insulation is 0.97mm. After careful research, I selected the connector based upon these dimensions plus needing a shielded connector.
This cable is stouter than indoor-grade cable. The jacket is thick, plus the foil shielding and waterproof tape add to the thickness. There is a rip cord inside the cable, but I did not make use of that. You should use a cable stripper when terminating cable to RJ45 connectors. For such a thick cable, you are well advised to get a heavy-duty adjustable stripper.
Here is how the cable is constructed from the inside out:
• Four twisted pairs (eight solid copper conductors)
• Waterblock tape (basically a tough cloth wrap that blocks water from reaching the conductors if the outer jacket should be breached)
• ESD drain wire (ground wire)
• Overall foil shield (not cheapo metallized mylar like other brands…)
• Rip cord (meh…I never use it)
• Outer UV protective outdoor rated jacket
I took copious pictures, showing the inside of the cable plus at various points during the process of cable termination to a RJ45 connector.
Overall, I am impressed with the quality of this cable
- 商品尺寸: 36.8 x 36.8 x 20.3 cm
- 商品重量: 11.8 Kg
- 发货重量: 12.2 Kg
- ASIN: B01JAVOB2W
- 用户评分: 分享我的评价