- Nutritional assessment
- Epidemiological and experimental methods used in nutrition research
- Social aspects of nutrition
- The science of food as a source of energy and essential nutritients
- Variation in nutritional needs and priorities at different stages of the life-cycle
- Hospital malnutrition
- The use of dietary supplements and functional foods
Completely updated, this accessible textbook offers a comprehensive guide to the roles of diet in causing, preventing, and even treating chronic disease and maintaining good health. The importance of improving health is a guiding principle throughout the book and is underpinned by health promotion theory.
This is essential reading for all nutrition and dietetics students, including those studying nutrition modules as part of food science, catering, or health care courses.