Inspired by my married daughter and teenage son, I burst on to the smoothie scene. The 1-Sale-A-Day special on the Cuisinart CPB-300 SmartPower 15-Piece Compact Portable Blending/Chopping System, which comes with 4 BPA-free travel cups in which you can make your smoothie, sealed my fate. I raided the Baltimore County Public Library of any books relating to smoothies and took out the following eight books, which I plan to review for you:
* The complete idiot's guide to smoothies
* Good housekeeping blend it! : 150 sensational recipes to make in your blender.
* Juicing & smoothies for dummies
* Smoothies : healthy shakes & blends
* Smoothies, smoothies & more smoothies!
* Superfood smoothies : 100 delicious, energizing & nutrient-dense recipes
* Green smoothie joy : recipes for living, loving, and juicing green
* The healthy green drink diet : advice and recipes for happy juicing
"Green Smoothie Joy" is a superb green smoothie book. I entered into smoothie land with "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Smoothies". I soon wanted to expand into green smoothie land, and this excellent book was just what I needed. The intro is excellent and gives lots of important background information, enough to allow one to create one's own smoothie according to one's whims. Elias recognizes the benefits to both fruits and vegetables, and suggests aiming for a 60% fruit to 40% veg blend (and maybe getting down to 50%/50%). The recipes are generally "normal" and appetizing. (Yes, I know that this is a tad subjective!) A regular Joe with an interest in green smoothies should be able to pick up this book and not feel overwhelmed by the greenness of the ingredients or disturbed by the combinations. The book also has nutritional info, which is extremely helpful.
The paperback book is beautifully put together with a clear layout; however, I went with the Kindle version to buy because it was so cheap. Frankly, the real book is easier to read than the Kindle version, but the Kindle version works if it is going to save me that much money!
Green Smoothie Joy is your easy-to-use guide for healthy green smoothies (and more!) at any time of day. It seems like everyone is turning to green juices these days whether it's part of a healthy detoxing regimen, a love-the-skin-you're-in weight loss plan, or just to increase the amount of fruits and vegetables in your diet.The health benefits of smoothies and juices are enormous--so get started today!
- Snack time smoothies like Dandelion and Apple
- Green smoothies like Ginger Green
- Healthy smoothies like Winter Cold
- Yogurt smoothies
- Special occasion treat smoothies
- Fruit smoothies like Blueberry Pecan
- Tips on using different types milks, yogurt, and protein powder to cut down on juice content and make fruit smoothies more healthy
- How to get your smoothies the perfect consistency--whether you like them thicker or a little thin
- How to keep your smoothies sugar-free and tasting great
- Information on smoothie makers and juicers