This is a great book to choose as a first read allowed chapter book for a young child. My not quite 4 year old son begged me every night to keep reading when I put the book down at the end of a chapter. My 2 year old son will even stop what he is doing to pay attention to some of the funny parts. The book follows the life of Sam from birth to about 4 years old. My older son obviously related to a lot of Sam's experiences. This is the first chapter book I have attempted reading to him that was a success.
There were a few concepts introduced in the book that I didn't necessarily want my sons exposed too, but they were all minor and were all things that would be fine for the age range the book is intended for (thus I didn't take any stars off). Still, if you are reading this to a young child you may want to read it on your own first so you can either skip over parts you don't want your child exposed to, or at least so you can be prepared for a discussion about certain topics if need be. I did not actually skip anything when reading the book to my son, but here are a few of the possibly touchy issues in the book for a young child.
1. Sam's mischievous toddler behavior is regularly described. All of the things he does are things that an older child may find funny and would not be at all influenced to try on their own. My boys are young enough that they just saw some of Sam's behaviors as a good idea of things they may want to try. For example, at age 2 Sam enjoys unrolling the toilet paper. The day after I read that chapter I caught my 2 year old son in the bathroom unrolling the toilet paper, which is something he had never done before hearing the book (I didn't even realize he had been paying attention while I read).
That said, the book also gave me the chance to discuss some big issues with my 4 year old, such as why it is wrong to take candy from a store without paying for it.
2. The book mentions kids pretending to play with bombs and guns, which my boys have very little exposure to at this point in time and I tried to rush over those parts without making it obvious.
3. There was a minor scene where Anastasia (Sam's much older sister) was telling him about the cat she used to have that was hit by a car.
4. The book is a bit dated, Sam likes Popeye, and He-man. I had to spend some time explaining to my son who those characters are.
5. The book talks about Sam using his diaper several times. Both of my boys found those parts hilarious, but I know it is something some parents may not feel comfortable reading allowed to a child.
- 语种： 英语
- ISBN: 0440402212
- 条形码: 9780440402213
- 商品尺寸: 13.2 x 0.9 x 19.4 cm
- 商品重量: 109 g
- ASIN: 0440402212
- 用户评分: 38 买家评级