- 出版社: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt; None (1986年6月2日)
- 丛书名: Edition 001
- 平装: 240页
- 语种： 英语
- ISBN: 0395393914
- 条形码: 9780395393918, 0046442393911
- 商品尺寸: 15.5 x 1.5 x 23.5 cm
- 商品重量: 408 g
- ASIN: 0395393914
- 用户评分: 1 条商品评论
- 第2位 - 图书 > 进口原版书 > Reference（参考书） > Words, Language & Grammar（词语，语言与语法） > Handwriting
- 第32位 - 图书 > 进口原版书 > Reference（参考书） > Writing, Research & Publishing Guides（写作，研究与出版） > Writing > Fiction
- 第38位 - 图书 > 进口原版书 > Reference（参考书） > Writing, Research & Publishing Guides（写作，研究与出版） > Writing > Writing Skills
Line by Line: How to Edit Your Own Writing (英语) 平装 – 1986年6月2日
After earning her M.A. in English literature, Claire Kehrwald Cook taught English Composition fro three years at a midwestern university before she went into publishing. For the next eight years she worked for a major book company, rewriting problem manuscripts in the trade, business, and college departments. Since 1976 she has worked at the Modern Language Association, where she enjoys styling literary essays considered worthy of painstaking editorial efforts.
One word of warning: Cook goes heavy on the jargon. Even expert grammarians would find some sections dense. If you can't identify a dependent clause, a correlative conjunction, a dangling participle, or any of the other terms on your ninth grade English quizzes, I would review the basics with a more digestible book first. My favorite is the McGraw-Hill Handbook of English Grammar and Usage, 2nd Edition.
Most helpful are the extensive glossary of `questionable word usage' and the numerous examples that help guide readers during editing. Used alongside a good book on grammar (such as Mignon Fogarty's Grammar Girl's Quick & Dirty Tips For Better Writing) and a professional developmental editor, Line By Line is a valuable resource for any writer wanting to craft a well-written manuscript.
Growing up in England I was taught every miniscule detail of the English language. How to construct sentences and how pronunciation changes depending on word stems, Country of origin and so on. I had a pretty good grasp on writing. At work I spend some of my time re-writing briefing notes, user manuals, and proof-reading emails.
On top of this I study grammar and style manuals. You get a feel for where I'm coming from in terms of expertise.
This book changed my entire outlook on writing. I am only up to page 26 and already I have hacked through some articles like a whipper-snipper through a weeded garden. I found some habitual mistakes I constantly make and curbed some emerging ones. This is a fantastic book!
The last briefing note I edited started as a monstrosity of bad grammar and ended as a shining example of what this book has to offer.
I cannot recommend this book enough. It is only 200 pages but not a word is wasted. It is concise and packed full of information and is an example of its own subject.
- 图书 > 进口原版 > ELT（英语学习）
- 图书 > 进口原版 > Reference（参考书） > Words, Language & Grammar（词语，语言与语法） > Handwriting
- 图书 > 进口原版 > Reference（参考书） > Writing, Research & Publishing Guides（写作，研究与出版） > Writing > Fiction
- 图书 > 进口原版 > Reference（参考书） > Writing, Research & Publishing Guides（写作，研究与出版） > Writing > Writing Skills
- 图书 > 进口原版 > Science（科学）